• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Morality

Discussion in 'General' started by Desert Warrior, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

About a week ago or so I was reading one of my old posts in some thread floating around the site. Specifically it was about judging others and things. Anyways, in that thread my stance that it was completely okay to judge people and I was in support of moral relativity, which basically is the notion that what is right or wrong depends on the person themselves and nothing else.

After having taken some Philosophy classes this past school year I do not believe in moral relativity anymore and instead consider there to be something more to morality than simply what somebody believes. Funnily enough this change in my views on morality occurred before this past school year and I totally forgot that I had once supported the idea of moral relativity. Strange how some things change.

Anyways fellow members, what are your views on morality and why?

2. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

I've come to see myself as being in the Utilitarian light, in that the moral action is the one that yields the most rewarding end for the greatest number of people. In that, sense morality is complex, and must be determined through deciphering of given circumstances, and weighing the costs and benefits of the possible actions to take.

If any of that is clear enough for discussion purposes.

3. NeRo

NeRo Your Supreme Lord And Savior Staff Member Administrator

That's a touchy one, but to add my two cents. I believe there is a direct medium as in what is humanly morally acceptable and what we ourselves perceive to be good vs Evil. Of course in the end you'll want the most people to benefit from the answer but it just doesn't work like that. I've done many things what wouldnt be considered " right" but in the end goal it lotted the best result had i taken another option.

This is a very good topic one i don't really have an answer to.

4. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

There's right and wrong. No middle. No grey area. No loop hole.

That's really all I have to say.

EtherealSummoner likes this.
  5. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

But the chief question that must be answered here is what criteria constitutes "right" and what constitutes "wrong." Without definition to those two terms the entire matter is just one big loop hole.

6. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

That's a little too rigid for me. I think there are more things that fall into the middle, or grey area, than hit either of the two absolutes.

I've been mulling over this question trying to figure out what I wanted to say, and I'm still not really sure where I fall. I suppose my belief is closer to that Become posted- that morality is defined by what yields the greatest reward to the most people. I also think that what we consider "moral" is flexible and subject to change over time and I don't think there is one set of rules that are appropriate for all people everywhere. In that sense, I like DW's mention of moral relativism:

but I feel like that's a little too open to interpretation, because I do feel that there are some things that are never morally right.

*Shrugs* I feel like I've said nothing, lol. To quote Vox, "This is a very good topic one i don't really have an answer to." But it did make me think, so kudos.

Off topic, but:
    I'm so glad someone else does this. It's strange and hilarious reading the BS I'd spin in some of these old threads. Also, I'm quite rude. XD

7. Desert Warrior

It is clear to me. Although I have been shown examples of Utilitarianism that show it isn't always the best choice. Have you ever heard of the short story Those Who Walk Away From Omelas?

Best for you or best for more than just you? (Stuff like this is why I enjoy talking about these things)

I agree with there being some sort of right and wrong. I also believe in a type of middle ground or gray area. Mostly with severity of how right or wrong something is. The issue I find with not allowing any sort of middle ground is that it makes certain things equivalent when they shouldn't be. To illustrate, consider a simple white lie and murdering somebody. I find that one is clearly more morally wrong than the other. So when you say no middle or gray area, do you consider the severity of actions or not?

There are multiple types of moral relativity. My specific definition is focused on the individual. There's also a cultural version. Same principle, only that one's culture defines what is right and wrong instead of simply the individual.

There are other types of ethical theories aside from moral relativity and Utilitarianism, if you would like me to define them for you.

I do my best.

8. NeRo

NeRo Your Supreme Lord And Savior Staff Member Administrator

Well here's something to think about. I was watching a show where the good guys do bad things for good reasons. Okay? So at some point they had to rob a train like a good old fashioned Train heist. They were very adamant that " no one can know we were here but us we can't have any witnesses" this was something they kept mentioning that no one is supposed to know but them. So at the end of the robbery as they are celebrating the heist a kid pulls up behind them on his bike and is glaring at them. like he saw what they did. They all stared back as if they had seen a ghost i mean remember " no one can know we were here" and what if the kid talked? or mentioned it to someone once they train and authoritest realized they had been robbed.

So one of the men pulled out a pistol from his back pocket and shot the kid dead. So what was moral and immoral here. Is right and wrong what we value it to me or is it on a personal level. In the mind set of them the right thing to do was to eliminte witnesses, but its wrong to kill a child, but it was the right call to make at that moment, even afterward when they are al torn up about it, was it right or wrong?

9. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

It's an interesting read, for those who may not have run across it yet.

I think it depends on the consequences of not eliminating witnesses, and if the train robbers were at fault for being seen. I don't have enough to go on with this scenario.

It might not be a bad idea to have something to refer to while reading through the thread. I did a very lazy google search while typing up my reply, as it's been years since I've had any sort of philosophy classes. XD

10. Desert Warrior

I agree. I don't have enough info to give a definite conclusion. That being said, regardless of what their reasons were for robbing the train I do not believe they were justified in killing the child.

Then here the the ones I'm familiar with:

• Moral Relativity. As I said before, it is the notion that there is no absolute right or wrong and what is determined to be morally just is determined by either the individual or society.
    • Divine Command Ethics. This is the view that morality is determined by a higher power. i.e. This action is good because God (Or gods if you're polytheistic) says so.
    • Utilitarianism. The morally right choice is the one that brings the most happiness to the greatest number of people.
    • Kantian Ethics. The proper moral choice is one that has logical consistency and can be repeated. It does not require the same results as Utilitarianism does.
    • Aristotle's Virtue Ethics. This one is always a bit hard for me to define. A key aspect of it is that by the time we are adults we are supposed to be able to identify a person who is moral and virtuous and begin to emulate them.
    I'm certain there are others out there. But as far as I'm aware, these are the big ones.

11. Mike

Mike Member

I'll give a quick response now and elaborate later - I feel morality is a matter of advocacy. We do what we perceive to be best for not only ourselves, but for those in our care (not always in a literal sense).

For instance, the same act can be seen as moral, or immoral - does offering your seat to a woman on the bus constitute a moral or immoral act? Many would argue for both - feminists believe that women are just as strong as men and so such an act is insulting and immoral. However, certain women are perfectly alright with "chivalry."

It boils down to this - is there a reasonable expectation/understanding of dependence? A pregnant woman for instance, who appears as though she is struggling to stand, I feel obligated to help...because I perceive her to be in need of my care, it feels right to treat her as though she is.

And so in this way, we advocate for those in our care - offering our seats to those we have a responsibility to help (if it serves the greater good) and not offering our seats to those we do not.

In this sense I don't think morality is about helping the most people, but instead it had the caveat that it produces the greatest good in those within our care.

12. Desert Warrior

That is an interesting view @Mike . But I'm curious about your mention of feminists believing the act of giving up your seat for them is insulting and immoral. Well, not really. To put it in a better way, I am curious as to how you would define immorality. I can understand feminists viewing the act of giving up a seat for them to be insulting (Though I entirely disagree with them, that is a different discussion), but I do not see how it is immoral. I can accept it not being moral, but at the very most I can only view it as something that is neither moral or immoral.

13. Mike

Mike Member

Fair point, as Not Moral <=> Immoral would be a false dichotomy, as there are many neutral acts as well. (And yes, I too disagree with that world view haha...I'm something of a traditionalist myself).

I suppose what I'm saying is for that particular example, the action clashes with a feminist's worldview - it degrades their cause, goes against what they believe in, and degrades women (this is of course referring to a "True Champion for Women's Rights" hardcore feminist, namely, the type to get insulted by such a humble gesture). Since they feel they have a moral responsibility to uphold women's rights in any and all forms, they lash out as a means of assisting and preserving the rights of those in their care (ie. they perceive all women as being in their care).

This is my humble definition of immorality - something that infringes on the morality of another individual or group (ie. it prevents the optimization of well-being of everyone in someone else's care). By this definition of course, nearly any action can be interpreted as immoral in some form, by someone. Indeed, as countless debates show (Pro-Life vs Pro-Choice, etc) morality is something that not everyone can necessarily agree on.

And so sure enough, according to the way I've defined morality, me offering my seat to a woman on the bus doesn't infringe on your rights, or those in your care. Naturally, you wouldn't find this immoral (and in fact, in that same moment you might perceive yourself as being obligated to help this woman as well - that she may be someone 'in your care' momentarily - and hence may even view this as a moral act).

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    Desert Warrior likes this.
  14. Desert Warrior

Your specific view of immorality is definitely something I've never really heard before. I'm not sure if I myself could follow it entirely, mostly because I know that part of me wants are more absolute and concrete foundation for morality. Something like certain actions will always be immoral, no matter who you are.

15. Mike

Mike Member

Maybe you ascribe to the notion that there is a higher power, or code, or moral authority. In that sense, there would be an absolute frame of reference by which to measure morality - that of the higher power. In a sense the belief system would be something "in your care" by my definition, and so you swear to uphold its values.

Myself, I can't personally think of anything in a concrete way - in my mind, even the most heinous of acts, if done with the right intentions, could be spun as a moral act (even if you or I, or anyone else, would disagree). Are you thinking of anything specific here?

As an example, let's take murder. I couldn't fathom ending another life, and I'm sure you'd agree that's a highly immoral act. But I could imagine someone who would make the argument that they would have killed Hitler to save countless others. To them, letting Hitler live is in fact, immoral. A serial killer on the other hand, may feel it's immoral to let someone live because they were wearing a blue shirt, and happen to be suffering from a mental illness.

To refine my view slightly, I feel that in a sense, we're bound by our own unique moral compass. It's highly dependent on our own indoctrination and bias, as well as intentions when committing said act. Some people may be operating with a broken compass, but that doesn't change the fact that "North" is a direction that's arbitrarily named/defined.

16. Desert Warrior

Not necessarily a higher power. Moral authority I suppose. I feel that there is an underlying thing of morality. That certain actions will always be moral while others will always be immoral. Do we or will we ever know what they are? No, and we probably never will.

A specific example? Well, one that I could think of would be honor killings. The kind where somebody's sister gets raped, and then the family kills that sister in order to maintain their honor in the community. No matter how somebody may try to spin that into some moral act, I do not believe it is possible for such an act to ever be anything besides immoral.

Using your example of murder, there are varying shades of killing people. And as such, not every act of ending another person's life would be considered murder. Killing Hitler, would not be murder (Unless it was some random person killing him for no legitimate reason before he came into power). Essentially, killing somebody would only be murder if it does not go along with justice.

But then again, not everybody has the same definition of justice. My own view of justice goes along with my view of morality. If there are some set of absolute rules on what could be right or wrong, then logically there would be some form of justice to go alongside those rules.

17. Mike

Mike Member

I'm having a bit of trouble envisioning how an absolute "moral authority" or underlying principle of morals could exist, without it being some form of higher power. That doesn't necessarily mean it's God, or karma, or anything specific, but would it not be suggested that there's something greater than ourselves? If we have this underlying code, where did it come from?

If it were something tied to us as a species (perhaps something in our genetics), or even all the species on the planet, we could still envision the possibility of the existence of a completely different, inconsistent with ours, yet intrinsically consistent, system of morals on some distant planet. It wouldn't be an absolute moral authority in that case.

Note that I'm not arguing specifically for the existence of God, I'm simply trying to ponder what a moral authority that is not a universally superior entity (for lack of a better word) would look like. What do you envision/believe?

-------------------

First I'd like to say that of course, I consider honour killings immoral - but my attempts at playing devil's advocate are trying to hone in on the finer details of our definitions or morality.

What I'm less sure of however, is that everyone would agree with us. Some people would passionately argue that it's the proper, responsible thing to do (even if we view the arguments as irrevocably stupid ones). From what I gather, they defer to their own higher powers and flawed interpretations of religious texts to justify it.

But in that case, what gives us the authority/privilege to claim that our system of morals is the correct one? We certainly call into question their belief system...indeed others who look into their religious text would say "this is suggesting something immoral" while others would say "this is how it must be, this must be the moral thing to do."

But who's right?

There's almost certainly someone out there who agrees with your system of morals in every way except for one fundamental issue - say euthanasia. You can back up your particular stance, and I'm sure they can as well. Whose system of morals can be claimed as the correct one, and why? Then play this game dozens of times, and you'll quickly find that someone's moral code looks nothing like yours, but can still be justified regardless.

In the case of Hitler, I have to humbly disagree - murder doesn't know race, gender or creed, and I strongly feel that ending a life is ending a life. That does not mean tough decisions don't need to be made (would you have personally ended Hitler's life to spare the suffering of countless others?), it simply means we can't change the definition of murder to figuratively fit our whim. Call it what it is - murder. But perhaps what this suggests is that murder isn't always wrong.

In particular, what if someone viewed Obama as the next Hitler? I'm sure there are some, there must be some for every political leader, no one is viewed as a unilaterally positive influence. Would that justify killing said politician - would it suddenly not be murder, or suddenly become morally justified?

What if not everyone views Hitler as a negative influence? How would they react to someone killing Hitler?

18. Desert Warrior

In my mind, I am viewing this moral authority in the broadest sense with it simply being part of the fabric of the universe just as the laws of physics are. Does that count as a superior entity? I don't know. I suppose that depends on how you define it.

-----------------

As for what gives us the authority/privilege to say our moral code is the correct one, that is difficult to answer. At the very least, I would say nothing gives us the authority or the privilege. But if moral relativity is the correct answer, then we are equally justified in saying ours is the correct one as somebody else with a different one is justified in saying theirs is.

We could take them on a case by case basis. Arguing against somebody who's religion justifies certain things we consider immoral has certainly already been done before. In the Euthyphro (I think that is the correct spelling), Socrates makes this argument. "Is something good because the gods love it? Or do the gods love something because it is good?" But then again, such an argument doesn't work with anybody unwilling to change their views on something.

The biggest problem I have with something like moral relativity is that it can become a slippery slope to allow bad things to happen simply because somebody viewed it as the right thing to do. If somebody murdered somebody because they felt the victim was doing something immoral by wearing the wrong shirt, you shouldn't be allowed to justify that action with a simple "Oh, he thought it was the right thing to do." That, at the very least, is part of why I think that there has to be some sort of moral foundation that exists regardless of what we believe to be morally right and morally wrong.

Jumping back to Hitler and our talk of murder, ending a life is very clearly ending a life. But while murder is always ending a life, I do not think that ending a life is always murder. When people kill each other in the middle of a war, do we call it murder? At the very least I've never heard it called murder (And this example is two soldiers killing each other. Not a soldier killing a civilian). Murder implies that the victim was unable to defend themselves against the murderer. Which brings to mind another example. If somebody tries to murder somebody else, and that somebody else kills the murderer in self defense, can you really call the defender a murderer?

Using your example as somebody viewing Obama as the next Hitler doesn't quite work, though I do see where you're going. Were somebody to kill Obama, they would be a murderer. Regardless of how they view him, Obama is not responsible for any atrocities like Hitler is. And there lies a key difference. It is differences like that which differentiates murder from another form of ending a life.

Am I evading any of your questions by bringing up any of these definitions? I'm not sure, though I kind of feel like I am.

19. Mike

Mike Member

No worries, we'll just dance the dance of a healthy discussion haha. And with that, here comes a healthy dose of Devil's Advocate.

If there were a law of ethics, or morals, on the same plane as the laws of physics, would it not be an unbreakable law? That's a rather serious claim - the laws of physics are something that are unavoidable, and unalterable. But clearly there are disagreements about very important moral issues, both sides of which can be backed up adamantly by the smartest from both camps. Would individual atoms not be bound by a code of morals?

-------------

I'll use abortion as the example again as it's accessible - if a pro-choicer was in a room full of pro-lifers, they would be the odd-man out and have to justify an awful lot, and probably still not convince anyone. Identically, if a pro-lifer was in a room full of pro-choicers. Note that this is regardless of what the over-arching moral code dictates regarding abortion.

Furthermore, speaking to your example about killing someone for wearing a shirt - imagine you lived in some sort of primitive tribe where the perceived notion was that shirts were satanic, and everyone ran around bare-chested. In that case, you absolutely could appease the entire tribe, satisfy everyone, and justify murder, by simply saying "I thought it was the right thing to do." Let's be clear here - they couldn't convince you this easily or nonchalantly, but that's because you live in a world where it's ridiculous to kill someone over a shirt.

But now what if the tribe was our entire world? What if one of our most cherished moral high roads was actually completely absurd to someone external to our system?

For this reason, I think morals are (sadly) dictated by the masses, and popular public opinion at any given time. We believe murder is wrong because it's been wrong for thousands of years. That however, doesn't mean that some day we won't "become enlightened" and be like, hey, murder is actually ok, and the notion that it's wrong is archaic religious mumbo jumbo.

We've also thought homosexuality was wrong for an inordinate amount of time, but we've now become enlightened about that.

-------------

On the basis of arguing like Socrates, just note that among the plethora of religions out there, no two agree on everything. Every religious person would draw on their morality from something they claim to be a divine source... once again, who's right? Take any controversial issue... why would someone arguing against my personal belief, on the basis of their own personal belief, hold any sway over who I am, and what I do? Does that automatically make me or them, an immoral person (one of us should be, since we disagree so spectacularly)?

-------------

You can't fathom that anyone would lump Obama and Hitler into the same category, because the stuff Obama has done has been relatively benign with respect to your own life. But unfortunately some people have been affected to a much greater degree, and have a lot of ammunition against Obama.

On the most basic level, there are people who can acknowledge a lot of good Hitler did for the German people (such as stimulating their economy, and bringing the world out of the great depression). Or in other words, we don't know what the financial implications of not having a second world war would have been, but they're also quite scary (see for instance, Greece). Some people firmly believe that through Hitler's "atrocities" he jump-started the economy and bought us another 80 years or so before countries started defaulting on their debts.

Conversely, an argument could be made that the US is leading the entire world into a financial sinkhole. This is certainly not exclusively Obama's fault, but he's playing a big role regardless. People who personally value finances more than human life (and they definitely exist) would have no qualms in saying Hitler was a good man and Obama is evil for this reason. Note that I'm not arguing this as my personal belief, but sadly the people who fall into this category tend to have the most power in this world (ie. rich CEOs and so forth).

Sure, Average Joe would argue that such a person is immoral, but what happens when these powerful people kill off Average Joe to save a few bucks, and everyone left who populates has that fundamental belief? All they need to do to justify murdering Joe is that it saved all of them money?

As a brief side note, have you ever watched The Corporation (A documentary)? It's a bit off topic, but it's a fantastic use of an hour or two.

EDIT - forgot to address one point - my personal opinion regarding soldiers killing one another. I absolutely do view that as murder, but responsibility would not necessarily lie with the individual soldiers. The soldiers were unlawfully killed by those who weren't even at risk of dying, by those who paid money to desperate people and their families, to essentially own their lives.

Of course this is a complex issue - for instance, how would you differentiate between someone who was conscripted to war, killed entirely out of self-defense, versus someone who joined entirely of their own volition, as they felt it would be their only chance to "legally" end someone's life (such people also exist I'm afraid)? Some people trip over that kind of power.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  20. Desert Warrior

Assuming there were unbreakable laws of morality like there are laws of physics, there is still able to be disagreements on them. Morality, unlike physics, is intangible. So even with the assumption there are rules that are always there, people do not necessarily have to follow them simply due to them being unable to interact with them. That wouldn't invalidate said laws or anything.

-----

I hate to use the "If everybody jumped off a bridge" argument, but unfortunately my thoughts seem to want to lead to that when arguing over the notion of morality being dictated by the masses. Simply put though, simply because everybody believes something is correct does not mean they are correct. That mindset also gets incredibly dark. Wasn't it 1984 that said history happens the way the Inner Party says it does because they make everybody believe it (Or something along those lines)? Even if the whole of society believes something is morally right, that does not mean it actually is.

To take another approach on morality, one that isn't bound by absolute ideals and isn't dictated by society, there is something a philosophy professor of mine had come up with. He called it the Worry Method. Basically with it, you take all the relevant arguments to a given issue and compare them. The best argument out of all of them is the best moral option.

That might've been turning away from this part of the discussion, but I felt it was something to bring up at some point.

-----

To be honest, that argument from Socrates was more towards arguing against using religion or the divine as a source of morality. That being said, if I were to continue with your argument then logically I would have to say that assuming one religion or belief system was correct with their moral guidelines then logically the others would be immoral if they do not match up. It isn't through anybody's fault for being immoral, simply being unlucky for being raised in the incorrect system and never learning why it was incorrect.

In a situation like that you can't exactly hold somebody responsible for unwillingly being unaware of something. Unless of course the correct system does in fact do that. But not every system does. After all, I believe part of the Catholic belief is that somebody who was raised in a non-Catholic environment and was never given the opportunity to enter a Catholic environment is not necessarily damned to Hell because of events out of their control.

In a situation where one set of moral rules is correct (Most easily illustrated with the assumption that it is religious moral rules), I would assume that there would be varying degrees of immorality based on how close or how far another set of moral rules match up with the correct one.

-----

Could you really say that somebody would use the good Hitler did as justification for the Holocaust? The only people I can think of who would do something like that would be Holocaust deniers, and even that doesn't work since they by definition claim the Holocaust never happened and therefore would not believe that Hitler caused any atrocities. Then again, it seems easier to see it that people acknowledge that he did some things that were positive for Germany (And with WWII getting us out of the Great Depression, by extension Hitler did things that were ultimately positive for more than just Germany), but also be aware that the good that came about does not justify the Holocaust.

If people who valued money more than life were all that was left and they used that as justification to kill somebody, then that is more towards my example of the bad possibilities that come from society determining what is moral.

I've never seen nor heard of The Corporation before. What is it about?

I suppose the way to differentiate between people who are forced to go to war versus those who want to go to war in order to kill people would be to do all sorts of mental tests on them and see if we can't find out that way.