• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Gay Marriage Legal Nationwide

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Angel, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

2. NeRo

NeRo Your Supreme Lord And Savior Staff Member Administrator

Much too long overdue, to be quite honest i don't know why it took so long. i mean it's just a question of sexual preference. Ok big woop, i don't think it ever should have gotten as out of control as it did. So, good for them now we can finally move past this and on to something else with our country. because this whole" Gay Agenda" thing is old news.

3. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

Unfortunately, there are people that won't want to keep it as "old news."

I've never understood myself why it had to be such a big ordeal, beyond the whole religious implications that people were always bringing up about it. It's definitely a step towards social progress.

While I would hope that having all of this settled will lead the nation to being able to combat the more pressing matters that hold us back, I kind of fear the sort of backlash that might ensue from it. Considering how heated the topic has been, I wouldn't be surprised if the more conservative states kept the fire going. Now there's a matter to continue debating state vs. federal power.

4. Mike

Mike Member

The downside is I'll have to step away from the internet before my brain explodes from the general masses, their opinions, and their flawed reasoning left and right. Because this is the flavour of the month today, I've already seen 4 "proofs" that children of homosexual parentage wind up better than heterosexual-raised children for one reason or another, and 4 "rebuttals" that were equally asinine...and I really haven't been online very long.

I've already deactivated facebook, in fact. I'll try again in a month when the heat dies down.

5. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

Clearly, this was going to happen from the get-go. I don't understand why the fight was so hard?!

Next up, free Healthcare.

NeRo likes this.
  6. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

Geez. :rolleyes:

I think this decision is long overdue. I've never really understood why it was even a debate (besides the fact that people are bigots). Gay marriage hurts precisely no one, and having that legal recognition is a benefit that should go to anyone committed to spending the rest of their lives together. Marriage is hardly sacred, anyway, so it's always baffled me why some even care enough to try to keep the right to it away from anyone else. 'Course, my view on a lot of things is influenced by a good dose of apathy- if it doesn't directly effect me, I don't really care what anyone else wants to do with themselves.

7. fishy smells

fishy smells Member

Even though I'm a Christian, I don't think God judges anyone. He probably won't judge homosexuals or transgenders either, it's probably someone who wrote the first Bible that made it seem that way! My mom really opposes my opinions, and she said that it is a terrible thing that's happening these days... She says bigot crap along the lines of, "This is the end of the world as we know it..." and, "They are changing the U.S. in a bad way." I think she's prejudicing against these poor folks trying to just be happy! :'(

NeRo likes this.
  8. NeRo

Aye, free Healthcare, Angel's thinking like a smart man that knows what he wants in life.

9. Mike

Mike Member

Come to Canada - it's cold and we've had legal gay marriage since 2005, and universal health care since 1966.

fishy smells likes this.
  10. NeRo

Ya know, that actually doesnt sound like a bad idea? you guys got a gamestop? lol

EtherealSummoner likes this.
  11. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

Srsly? Thankfully I've yet to see something like that. How incredibly stupid.

I'm quite there with you on that apathy bit.

As for my personal views, I'm here wondering if now that this has happened if people would just stop talking about it. 100% honest here, I do not support or oppose gay marriage. Aside from benefits people get from being married, I don't see why people want to get married (Gay or straight).

Sure, I would like to get married to somebody and share my life with them. But if I were not allowed to marry them, as long as I could stay with them and basically live what is considered a married life without anything official, I would be totally fine with that.

12. Kitty

Personally, I think that's what society should strive for. The world would be better off with everyone caring about themselves and leaving everyone else to take care of their own business, imo. People making such a damn big deal out of things just draws attention to it and makes it seem abnormal.

Apparently the attorney general and the governor of Texas are being complete dicks about this ruling- they've told judges, clerks, and other state officials that they can refuse to issue marriage licenses to gay couples if it is contrary to their religious beliefs.

Uh, that's not how it works. If you're a public official, tax payers pay your salary- tax payers who are straight, gay, what-have-you, and you have a duty to provide services equally. If you can't do that because your religion gets in the way, find another job. I think these two idiots are gonna be finding themselves on the other end of a lawsuit or two, and without jobs.

It makes me ashamed to have been raised in the South. :(

13. Dion

Dion Member

We have the shitty equivalent called EB Games, apparently you guys used to have it before Gamestop.

Anyway on topic.

Yes, this was very long overdue. Yes, the backlash I've been seeing around the internet is stupid. The Church/Religion shouldn't have, and in most cases hasn't had, any sort of influential power within the government whatsoever, so boo on those who keep saying that it breaks tradition. Religion should be a family tradition, not a national tradition. Times change, blah blah blah you get the point I'm making. :p

fishy smells likes this.
  14. Mike

Mike Member

I highly disagree with the notion that apathy is something to strive for, because not everyone knows what is good for themselves, nor do you know what truly affects you.

The only way I could truly see that mentality working, is if we could go on living in small tribes and have that in-group out-group mentality - what the other guy and his tribe do is none of my business. But unfortunately, we live in a world where the average person sees upwards of 200 advertisements in a given day (in one form or another). This is willingly or unwillingly exposing yourself to someone else's agenda, which is a problem.

We are more connected than we've ever been, and everyone has the right, and even obligation, to strive to avoid ignorance. Just because something doesn't appear to affect you, doesn't mean it is unimportant, and if the entire world had that same attitude at the same time, we'd be in deep trouble.

15. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

Old Me: OMG! WHY WHY WHY?!!!

Current Me: Meh. *Drinks Hibiscus Tea* Let's see how this is going. Gimme some Apple Fritters.

Some people I know are "unfriending' and stop being friends with each other on Facebook over this. Some people have the rainbow colors on their profile pic and the others have the red-love cross on theirs. As for me, I am a Christian and so my convictions are where I stand spiritually, mentally and emotionally. If they make gay marriage legal, ok. Nothing shocking. Still going to talk to people who are gay regardless. I am more along the lines of DW's last paragraph.

16. Desert Warrior

What about for the things that truly do not effect you? Would it still be wrong to be apathetic about it? You can't tell me that the day-to-day actions of somebody like Miley Cyrus or any other famous celebrity has any influence in my life. I mean sure, there are always possible actions like they are responsible for the drunken homicide of myself or somebody I know, but since that hasn't happened yet I can say that whatever they do has had absolutely no effect on my life so far.

NeRo likes this.
  17. Kitty

I feel like I'd be going off topic to address this too much, but I feel some things shouldn't be important. A person's sexual orientation should not be important, nor should someone's gender, or race, or religion, etc. None of those things about anyone else are my business and I do think the world would be better off if everyone understood that and didn't selfishly try to make everything about themselves (Like, unless I'm friends/family, what impact on my life does two men or two women getting married have? None. But some people make it all about them, like their God's personally going to damn them to hell over what two couples that they've never met do). People should just be people, and it should be a given that we should be treated the same with respect to the law.

In related news, a hometown girl from my own adopted state of Kentucky (so proud!) has decided that in her capacity as county clerk, she can pick and choose when and to whom to issue marriage licenses, and has just decided to stop issuing them all together without cause after the SCOTUS ruling. She's denied licenses to four couples, and is now being sued by the ACLU. :rolleyes: When your job is to issue marriage licenses, and you're just sitting on your ass doing nothing, but still collecting a paycheck for it, that's a problem. In any other job, you don't perform your duties, you get fired. KY Statutes say "a public official is guilty of official misconduct, a misdemeanor, if he refrains from "performing a duty imposed upon him by law or clearly inherent in the nature of his office."

Also, I can't help but be amused at the hypocrisy, because I am positive that this clerk has issued licenses in the past to many a person who the Bible would consider a sinner, but it's only this particular brand of sinning that's a problem. Picking and choosing which parts of the Bible they feel like following, as often seems to be the case.:rolleyes:

fishy smells likes this.
  18. Mike

Mike Member

Then this is not apathy, you have a particular worldview that you're adhering to. You're saying you adhere to a "mind your own business" viewpoint, this is vastly different from apathy as you're actually picking a side which you feel makes more sense.

The problem is, some people who say precisely the same thing, hide behind a curtain of apathy to just be like "whatever, I can't do anything about anything. I'm just one person, and it really doesn't matter what I think" and the status quo never changes.

No, it's not wrong to ignore stupid things like that. Human rights discussions however, you probably should care slightly about, one way or the other... so it's kind of a moot point.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  19. Desert Warrior

So she's not issuing them to straight people either? Or just not issuing them to gay couples?

Indeed. Though going back towards my comment of me seeing marriage being less and less of an important thing these days. If a couple is able to get the same benefits that married people are able to get, then at that point marriage simply becomes nothing more than a title. Which in that case wouldn't fall in human rights discussions. I know nobody sees it this way, but I dunno. I can't think of proper words to put in whatever it is I'm thinking, so I'm certain this paragraph comes out a lot more hateful sounding than I intend it to be.

20. Kitty

Right now, this particular woman is not issuing them to anybody. So maybe you can't technically say she's discriminating, but you can say she's refusing to do the job she was hired and paid to do. Either way, I think she's in trouble.

I don't think unmarried couples get the exact same benefits as married couples- there are tax breaks, being able to be on your spouse's insurance, receiving social security, medicare, disability, veteran, medical, and death benefits, etc.