• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Religion

Discussion in 'Mature Discussion' started by EbeneezerAl, Nov 29, 2007.

1. EbeneezerAl

EbeneezerAl New Member

I'll get things started with a rather broad topic. There are so many things to say on the subject of religion. There are so many religions and so many viewpoints on those religions, and I welcome any and all of it in this debate. The subject is religion, so let's talk. Anything you can think of on the subject we can debate and discuss here.

I'll get things started with this. Religion vs. Science. People have been arguing which one is correct for longer than any of us have been alive, and I can't for the life of me fathom why. I don't know why it's so hard for people to consider the possibility that maybe they go hand in hand. I'm gonna go with Christianity as an example here, because as a Christian, it's what I know best.

The Bible says that God created the universe. Science has proposed the big bang theory. The universe was just one superheated ball of mass that exploded creating everything within the universe. Now how do we know that God did not create the universe using the big bang? The Bible says God created life. Science has put forward many theories on this, the primordial soup for example. I'd explain this one too, but to be honest, I don't completely understand it myself. Again, how do we know that god did not create life using the primordial soup.

Now let's look at the order of creation in the Bible. God said let there be light. God created the heaven and the earth. God created oceans. God created land. God created creatures within the seas, then the land and the air. Last God created man. Now let's take science's explanation. The big bang theory. The whole world in one big superheated ball. That would produce quite a bit of light. Then it explodes creating the universe, sometimes referred to as the heavens, and everything in it, including this planet (the Earth). The Earth started out as a big volcanic place covered in magma and erupting constantly. Eventually, the gasses released from the eruptions formed an atmosphere that then rained down upon the surface, covering it in oceans. The magma underneath cooled and after a while the oceans receded revealing in places that newly formed land. Now let's look at the fossil record. Ocean life first, then land, then air. And what is the last form of life to appear in the fossol record? Humans of course.

Did that sound familiar? I think so. It's uncannily strange that a religious document written and compiled thousands of years ago could so closely resemble the scientifically proven facts about our worlds origins. Does anyone else think this is more than just coincidence?

Mythril Roxas likes this.
  2. ansem the wise 59

ansem the wise 59 New Member

my view on religion is that these days it's (sort of) singeled out it's as if the word god or crist or even church seem to be a crime to say

3. Kanzen

Kanzen New Member

That is very interesting. I never considered the fact that it could be possible.

I think, though, why so many people have a problem putting science and religion hand in hand, is that religion is more about faith, while science is more concrete.

I'm not saying that religion isn't real, I am a firm believer, but that's just it. I believe, and I really have no proof other than to just trust.

I'm not really quite sure what you're saying. Could you elaborate a little more please? Do you mean that religion is somewhat frowned upon because of the violence sometimes associated with it?

4. ansem the wise 59

yeah sort of like that

for example priests sometimes malest children but that doesn't mean everyone in that religon is the same as that one person

get what im saying?

5. Kanzen

Kanzen New Member

^ Yes, I think understand now.

This kind of brings up the issue of extremists, I suppose. After the 9/11 attacks, and especially since the current war, I've noticed that a lot of people view Muslims as terrorists; just because of the few extremists that take things a little too seriously (in my opinion, at least).

So, I guess that backs up what you were saying. One bad apple tarnishes the rest?

6. EbeneezerAl

EbeneezerAl New Member

Yeah, that really is a bad outlook. Even if it wasn't just a few people in the religion, it would be hypocritical to hold this viewpoint. After all, loko at the crusades and the inquisition in the Christan church. Those were conducted by a large portion of the faith, and condoned by most, not to mention the leadership of the church. Every religion has people w ithin it who are less than true to the principles upheld by that religion, and ever religion has moments in it's history that aren't near something to be proud of.

another thing is how it's almost become a crime to discuss religion in public, at least in the US. What's even worse is that it seems mostly to be directed at Christians. Since we represent the religious majority, any public mention of the religion must be a result of us trying to convert the minority. People are "offended" by seeing a nativity scene at Christmas, or hearing the name of God spoken in public. But if someone of the Christian faith complained of seeing a manorah (sp?) or a star of David, or some other non-Christian religious symbol, we'd be accused of being intolerant of their beliefs. Personally, I say let everyone display what they want. If you feel your faith is threatened by a religious display not of your own, then you didn't hold you faith very strongly in the first place.

7. Luke

Luke Member

I personally don`t really believe in a higher power, though i respect those with enough faith to do so.

Did you ever notice that every thing pleasureable, Instinctal, and natural is a sin?
    lust,greed,envy,gluttony,vanity,slothlyness, and i forgot the other one.

8. ansem the wise 59

that's exactly the piont i was making

well all of those things are not right to do or be are they?

i mean greed (for example) is taking everything that a person finds valuable no matter who that person hurts or whose live that person wrecks to get it

9. EbeneezerAl

EbeneezerAl New Member

The idea behind many of the natural and instinctual pleasures being considered sins is that you should try and rise above the baser parts of your nature that, while pleasurable to you can also be harmful to yourself or to others. The idea is to rise above all that and be a better person. Granted for the most part, we fail miserably at this. That is why there is a pathway to forgiveness. It's not so much an "If you ever do any of this it's unforgivable and you'll burn for eternity" as much as it's something to aim for. It's what you should strive to be.

10. ansem the wise 59

i couldn't have siad it better

11. Zenrot

Zenrot New Member

As far as the religion basis goes I myself am a Deist (yeah, they still exist) so im not into all the Bible and everything, But i agree with Luke. I respect people that are able to hold onto their convictions, but i detest the word "sin". God created humans and everything right? Then why give us these feelings if not to use them? Are you saying that he gave us lust and greed and so on to try and see who was good and who wasnt? And its not even that simple, Greed is how you get money, and how you live a good life. Greed doesn't have to be hurting people to get money, its just the desire for wealth. Lust is the desire for Sex, and that is actually physically healthy. Seems like God is setting humanity up for the diddle with this one?

12. Lost Darkness

Lost Darkness New Member

I don't believe in "God" to many far fetched ideas and stories for me to believe. I just believe in myself and the choices I make. Life after death is to much fantasy for me you live and then die and that's it no more no less.

I guess that's why I play rpgs.

13. un BLE vble

un BLE vble New Member

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. As far as I know, God willingly let people have free will so that could make their own decisions. If God did not grant us this gift, then we would be no more than mere robots under the control of a higher being. However, it's not like God left us alone after he gave us free will; he knew that we would fall to the usual sins of lust, greed, laziness, etc., and so he secretly helps us (through the good qualities that he gives us, such as love, selflessness, and hope.) All in all, God's goal is for us to enter heaven, but he places these bad and good traits in the world to give us a choice of whether or not we really want to be with him in heaven.

And specifically talking about greed and lust, you aren't looking at the whole picture when mentioning these traits. You are right about greed not having to be harmful directly, but it always leads to problems indirectly. If a person is greedy, he/she begins to forget about the more important things in life such as friends, family, achieving personal goals, etc. In addition, a greedy person
    loses appreciation for what he/she has and fails to see that there may be less fortunate people in the world. Now talking about lust, it certainly isn't right in any way. If a person has lust for another person, he/she slowly begins to lose the true meaning of love and consequently, may begin to regard that other person as merely an object so reach his/her own selfish physical pleasures. And about sex being physically healthy, yes, that's true in some aspects, but are you forgetting about STDs, such as AIDS? If lust causes a person to live a promiscuous life, then sex can be very unhealthy.

14. EbeneezerAl

EbeneezerAl New Member

I've said it once, but it bears mentioning again in light of the current discussion. Religions set guidelines for how to better live one's life. It is understood that we will feel the pull of these pleasures, and it is accepted, even by god, that even the best of us will give in. We are greedy, we are lustful, we want and we do what we want to get what we want. There is nothing wrong with this.

What religion teaches us is to try, whenever possible to rise above these feelings and be the better person. Yes we are greedy and ambitious and those feelings can drive us to better ourselves and obtain that which will improve our lives. However, we should be mindful of the effect that our actions could have on those around us, and know when enough is enough.

Should we drive ourselves to be the best we can? Of course. But that means not only bettering the worldly qualities that we automatically want (possessions, money, comfort, power and influence, etc.) but also knowing when it is better to let these things go both for the benefit of others and because it is in fact better for ourselves in the long run.

After all, as I said in an earlier post, it's not like we are going to go immediately to hell for breaking one rule. We just have to understand what we are doing, and when we've gone to far.

15. SkylerOcon

SkylerOcon New Member

If you don't mind me saying, I'm an atheist. Now then, I don't really have a problem with most theist religion, but, so sue me, Christianity really pisses me off.

Mind you, I'm not flaming the Christian faith. My best friend is Christian. But you see, the thing is is that most Christians know less about there own religion than most atheists do.

Most Christians are completely clueless about the proven fact that the Bible was written by a bunch of Pagans who wanted to end the Crusades. Needless to say, their ploy worked, but in an effort to 'change as god does' the bible has now obtained so many contradictions in it, that I have no choice but not to take it seriously.

And honestly, Christians used the Bible as an excuse for slavery 300 years ago, an excuse to deny women rights 150 years ago, and as an excuse to deny gay's rights today.

But keep in mind the fact that I don't have any problems with the essential basis of Christianity at all. To quote Mahatma Ghandi: "I like your Christ, but I do not like your Christians. Because your Christians are not at all like your Christ."

Kitty likes this.
  16. EbeneezerAl

EbeneezerAl New Member

And sadly enough, you're very right. In many cases, the people that know the most about religion are those who don't believe in one to begin with. Most Christians at least are simply Christian because someone in their childhood said it was right. They've spent their whole lives in church, following what the preacher says, thinking they know what it means to be a Christian, but honestly having no clue.

For a time, as a little kid, I was exactly like that. But then my parents' work schedule kinda made it hard to go to church and we stopped going all together. In my opinion, the best thing that happened for me in my faith is that very thing. that I spent a large amount of time outside a church. It allowed me to sort through my own beliefs, in an environment where not everyone was a believer. I saw things from other angles, and in the end, I chose to believe what I believe.

I am a Christian, though I don't claim a specific denomination. Denomination is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. In essence, they all believe the same thing. But I also accept that the Bible, despite the popular term, is not the "word of God". It was both written and compiled by men. The authors certainly put their spin on things, and the people who compiled the various books most certainly picked and chose which ones they wanted to use to suit their own purposes. Not to mention it has been translated and retranslated more times than can be counted, and many of the translators made sure the wording of the translation suited their own purposes. I know someone who has actually read the original text in whatever language it was, Hebrew I think, and says when compared to the King James Version, it's a lot different. I also believe that science and the Bible have much more in common than most people wish to admit.

The truth of the matter is, the details don't matter. What matters is the basic belief, and the principles that religion stands on. Everything else is merely filler. I have seen enough, heard enough, to think that those things are true. And that's good enough for me. Not like any harm is gonna come out of it if I'm wrong.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  17. SkylerOcon

SkylerOcon New Member

I couldn't have said it better myself, but I want to add one more thing:

In honesty, how many of you who claim a theist religion can honestly say you've ever tried to look at life from a different stand point, and even considered the fact that you may be wrong? I do often and it really has helped me just... understand the world and the people who live in it.

If you say you haven't, and don't want to, this just makes you... honestly it makes you dumb. This just shows that you would be afraid of the world around you because deep down you know that something may prove you wrong.

Which is another issue entirely that has happened with the Christian church, they constantly deny any contact with any other religion. And when they do, it's usually to try and convert them to Christianity which just makes people hate them more.

18. ansem the wise 59

alright, i highly doubt that the bible was made by pagens. true, christanity, has been used agianst blacks and gay's but you cannot hold the actions of a few powerfull people agianst every christan some of us actually see the fualt's in our own church like i constantly see the cathlic church competing with the other church's, even though the goal (in the end) is the same what im saying is that 1.) the bible was not written by pagens that's all none-sense stuff you can find on TV and 2.) don't take the actions of the few bad, rotten christan's and accuse the majority who actually believe see these rotten apples

19. EbeneezerAl

EbeneezerAl New Member

Actually, that's historical fact. The modern Bible was compliled by a pagan emperor, Constantine I think, the books themselves may not have been written by him and the council he called, but they decided which ones to use, and no doubt put their own spin on them before releasing the final book. Look it up sometime.

20. SkylerOcon

SkylerOcon New Member

And uhh...

It's a very, VERY, common thing to try to talk to a Christian about homosexuality today and they'll feed you a pile of crap like, "It's their choice, it's just that God and I don't agree with their 'lifestyle'."

Now then, as an honest-to-goodness person who wastes his time researching this stuff is that the only real difference between homosexuality and heterosexuality is the sex. What shock. But that's not why gays choose to be gay. There's evidence to support this theory (a lot of it at that) which is that gay people aren't gay because they made a conscious choice, but because they have an imbalance of Estrogen and Testrogen. And in honesty, I'm asking ever straight person on this forum -- did you have to make a conscious decision to be straight?

The point is that Christianity tries its best to make itself look like its an accepting religion. But when it comes down to it, hardly any Christians have taken it upon themselves to research what makes the people that the Bible says will burn in hell forever (but mind you, God still 'loves' them) so they just believe what they've read.

However, there is one thing that Christianity offers that Atheism does not. The biggest religion in the world is Christianity, so in honesty you guys have the majority. So I can go around talking about Christianity but I have to stay conscious of the fact that Atheism does fail to provide an answer to a question that everybody seems to love to ask: 'Why are we here?' Science can't do everything. If I don't keep that in mind, I'll just end up making a fool of myself. Everything has its flaws.