• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy VII' started by sutumuadong147, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sutumuadong147

sutumuadong147 New Member

What do you think about Sephiroth? I think he is so powerfull, strength and more... But I like his sword because it likes Katana of Japan but it's longer.

2. finalblackmage

finalblackmage New Member

I liked Sephiroth a lot more after playing Crisis Core. It lets you know a bit more about his character and how be became what he was in FFVII.

3. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

I think Sephiroth is highly overrated. I liked him much more before I played any of the other FFs.

He's not a terrible villain in my opinion- he succeeded in making me hate him, whereas some (like Vayne, for instance), just bored me and I couldn't care less about them or stopping their evil plans. He's just not all that he's hyped to be. I also think he is extremely overexposed, which doesn't help. He's the badass optional boss in KH, I see him on every "Best Game Villains of All Time" list I've come across, and hell, at a dollar store, I once came upon a toy sword that had a knock-off Sephiroth on the front of the packaging. o_O

I guess what I really dislike about him is his fanboys. A lot of people make him out to be the best damn villain ever, and he's just not, in my opinion. And the more people go on about how hot he is, or how awesome, or about his long sword (which we all know is compensating for something), the less I like him.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  4. Zenrot

Zenrot New Member

I like Sephiroth. He was very evil, and very insane, but at the same time he wasn't OBNOXIOUSLY insane like Kefka. I don't like how Kefka was annoyingly crazy. And everyone always said Kefka was the "more evil" villian because he poisoned a towns drinking water. Sephiroth burned a town to the ground and slaughtered everyone in it BY HAND!

But to stray away from the classic Sephy vs. Keffy debate, Sephiroth is a well put together character, but people need to look past the first layer in order to understand exactly what his character entails.

5. Kitty

I'll admit that the razing of Nibelheim was pretty damn cool. The scene of Sephiroth walking through the fire is a classic. But then on the other hand, you have the great Sephiroth defeated by average Shinra punk Cloud shortly afterwards. Not so cool.

I guess I always thought Sephiroth's motivations for his behavior were sort of weak. Perhaps if I played Crisis Core I'd appreciate him a little more. I know it's not his fault that he was misguided, but it was sort of annoying that he spazzed out about taking the planet back on behalf of his "Mother," who was not his mother, because he believed her to be a Cetra, though she was not. It's been a while since I've played VII, so maybe I'm forgetting things. I just remember thinking Sephiroth was kind of stupid, I guess. >_<

And I don't want to dwell on Kefka versus Sephiroth much, but one of the reasons I prefer Kefka is that he succeeds in his goals. Yes, ultimately he is defeated, but he does destroy the world and reigns as a god for some time. Sephiroth tries, but never does come out on top.

6. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

Especially since Nomura says that Sephiroth is the strongest being in the FFVII universe.

I myself find Sephiroth overrated. He was okay as a villain, but definantly not the best. Katanas are cool, but when they're as long as his, they aren't as cool. And Sephiroth needs to just die. Not come back time and time again.

And in an somewhat unrelated bit, fighting Sephiroth in Dissidia in the Inward Chaos storyline was awful. I think he might have given me more trouble than Chaos.

7. alchemistz

alchemistz New Member

He's so evil in this one and I agree that he's overrated. Maybe because he's the best villain out there?

8. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

Even though in the end it is all opinion, he is not the best villain. There are plenty better. Personally, I think that Garland/Chaos and Kefka are both better villains. But like I just said opinion.

9. Kitty

Agreed.

I would also have to disagree with him being labeled as the best, though like Desert Warrior said, this is just personal opinion.

That doesn't say much for the strength of the rest of the characters then, if Sephiroth went down so easily. v_v

I guess another thing that annoys me about Sephiroth is that even the characters in the game are fanboys. People (by that I mean mostly Cloud, but still) go on singing his praises, but I just don't find him to be all that awesome, especially after I've played other games and met other villains.

10. No.III Xaldin

No.III Xaldin New Member

the more i look into this, the more i think he got his badass status from his theme

the theme was epic at the time, then it just made sephiroth into an ego guy just talking about the darkness of cloud's heart (or just darkness in general)

11. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

-___- I hate Sephiroth. I think Ultimecia would just seduce him and bend him to her wills. Kefka succeeded though in ruling the whole universe and Kefka is a lot more better than Sephiroth would be.

12. Zenrot

Zenrot New Member

Seduce Sephiroth? The man is clearly insane, I don't think "get laid" is real high on his to-do list. Plus, Sephiroth bent Jenova to his will with PURE strength of will, I find it unlikely Ultemecia could do anything of the sort.

13. Goldfish

Goldfish Cats in the Cradle

I just don't like how they make him stronger and stronger (as mentioned previously; "just die already") all the time. Aside that and his popularity and other flaws, he can be a pretty cool guy.

14. Zenrot

Zenrot New Member

I don't see why popularity is a reason to dislike something >.>

15. No.III Xaldin

No.III Xaldin New Member

lol omg, nice comment, but thats what i was thinking too when i read this

16. alchemistz

alchemistz New Member

Glad that someone has the same opinion.

17. Zenrot

Zenrot New Member

Someone? The MAJORITY of people now-a-days feel that way about Sephiroth. Even the ones that like him. It's not like Sephiroth haters are this painful minority that hasn't yet got the right to vote.

18. Kitty

I think you have a point, though I don't think his theme is the sole reason for his apparent badassery.

Bah. Ultimecia sucks even more than Sephiroth. Sephy had lame motivations (IMO) for his behavior, but Ultimecia had none at all. Ultimecia pops right the hell out of nowhere at the end of the game- Sephy was a present threat throughout. And, whether I like to admit it or not, Sephy is just cool, whereas Ultimecia, when you do get to meet her without an Edea or Rinoa suit, is just weird.

And I personally believe that both of those characters are too bent on world domination to worry about getting laid. But even ignoring that, I think Sephiroth has too strong of a personality to be whipped by Ultimecia- he's not a pansy like Seifer disappointingly turned out to be.

I think S-E needs to let him rest a little. Let him drop out of the spotlight a little, and people will start to appreciate him again. He's just always there, and I for one am tired of him.

19. Zenrot

Zenrot New Member

I agree with that. Let Sephiroth go for a bit, and that way when we finish fighting the "Fal'Cie sanctum", we can appreciate how great of a villian he really was

20. No.III Xaldin

No.III Xaldin New Member

sephiroth, right now, has lost alot of "fanpeople", and so, i made a tribute of that as my avatar

sephiroth missed cloud, due to a deep drop of popularity

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.