• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Final Fantasy glory days...

Discussion in 'Final Fantasy I-VI' started by EtherealSummoner, Mar 11, 2010.

1. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

Which Final Fantasy games are your favorite? Is it FFVI with Kefka showing his evil, maniacal ways or is it FF I, the first game that started everything off? This thread is only for FFI-VI and not FFVII or any newer games.

2. Beloved

Beloved Azure's Beloved

Oh how I miss those days. My first FF game was FF2, for the SNES. This game today is called FFIV. This is by far my absolute favorite FF game of all time.

3. EtherealSummoner

??? How come this generation is more into the newer games than to think about the older games that was good? Do we have to make those games of FF- FFVI become 3D?

4. Beloved

Beloved Azure's Beloved

I was complementing the DS remake, but that's not my favorite version of FFIV. The original is. The SNES version. It's the game that made me fall in love with the series. After this was FFIII, for the SNES. I've been moving forward since then.

5. dualblade

dualblade Break!

For one,people like their graphics.Really,it would be harder for a person new to Final Fantasy to like even VII just because of the graphics.Of course,not everyone is like that.

For the old games,I never did start on them,my first was a demo of VIII and then the full game of X.However,I have played I,II,IV,V,and VI and I gotta say they are fun. I never got to beat VI (lost the game somehow),but the others were good.II wasnt the best,but it wasnt the worst game either.I let my imagination run with the character personalities.IV is my favorite of the older games (Real IV,not the one called II on the SNES).V comes close,mostly cause of Gligamesh!

6. No.III Xaldin

No.III Xaldin New Member

i know what you mean

i started with ff 12, then found the "classics 7-9" in a second hand strore

when i played them, i was like "why the hell would you sell these?"

then i started looking for the rest (1-6 and 10])

they were all good, except, there were none in the second hand stores around here

so i looked further on google, and found the emulators, downloaded them(required emulators and all 6 games), and played

i was instantly hooked on ff

then, the ds remakes of 3 and 4 did make those better, the best of the two was, by far, ff 4 with the voice over

but, in all, the best for me was the final fantasy that made the job system

EDIT : and about the ff 4 for the ds, it is the actual #4 in the series.

the reason is that nintendo in the U.S. did not want to wait for their arrival of the games, so they skipped 2 or 3 games and decided to rename them ff 1 and ff3 (or something like that)

it was explained on a site (wikipedia, i think)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  7. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

Many people think so. Personally, I love the less than stellar (compared to today) graphics. I love how stupid VII's blocky characters look, but I know some people who would never play VII unless it was remade because they are so turned off by how bad it all looks. And actually, I think V and VI both look better than VII, though VII is 3D. I never found the graphics in either of those games distracting.

XD Gilgamesh is awesome in V.

Well, I've only played V and VI of the classic games, and I'd have to say VI is my favorite. VI had a great cast (both good guys and villains) and I found the story very interesting. When I was done with the game, I wished I'd discovered it sooner.

But to be fair, V is a very good game too. It also had a good cast (though not quite as good as VI's) and the villains were both evil and hilarious at times. I had a lot of fun playing the game, and I'd rate it higher if I had gotten to finish it. v_v

I'd really like to find a copy of IV somewhere, because I've heard from a lot of people that it's worth checking out. *Sigh* Someday.

8. EtherealSummoner

-___- If you're going to base a game looks off of graphics, then you're stupid. I did that to FFXII once but once I played it, I knew that I shouldn't judge. Also, the older FF games don't have characters who are voiced.

9. dualblade

dualblade Break!

Its just one of many things SB.

For IV,I believe you can find a used copy of it for the GBA at a Gamestop.I found both of mine their.Played it,got almost all my characters to level 99,lost it,got another one right before the start of last semester.Either that or get the DS remake.Dont have a DS,so thats why I have the GBA info.

V was a game that was considered lighter in the story.Not like the plot was not there as much,but rather in tone.IV and VI were much darker then it most of the time,some people find that a little jarring apparently.Still very good though.If you are missing V as well,I think Gamestop also has used ones,but Im not sure.

VI is very hard to find for me,atleast the GBA version.I didnt even get to the World of Ruin...

10. Kitty

^You can find them on Amazon, too. The Gamestop near me is pretty sucky-it'd probably be easier to go online and find it than search through stores.

I kind of prefer that, because it leaves me free to decide how the characters would sound, and it lets me read through the dialogue as quickly as I want. There were some scenes in X, for example, particularly when Yuna was talking, that just went so slowly- I think the voice actress was trying to match her words to the lip movements, but it just didn't work for me.

What did you think was so horrible about XII's graphics? The graphics were the best thing about that game, imo.

11. EtherealSummoner

I was about 10 or 11 when it came out and when I saw Basch's face, I hated it just by the looks of the character but I didn't think straight about how good it would really be. Well, picturing voices in your head as to how they might speak most likely would be great. I can picture how Rinoa and Edea speak. As for Ultimecia, Dissidia ruined it, especially as to how she laugh and as to how they stopped making her say anything that have a hard c sound with a k.

12. Kitty

Well, do you all think the classic games are better than the newer ones?

I think so, though that's not to say that the newest games aren't good in their own ways. But when I play VI and then compare it to XII, it seems like in the past, more emphasis was placed on characters and story, which I find more important than graphics or gameplay.

13. No.III Xaldin

No.III Xaldin New Member

i'd say the older games are more for imagination, while the newer 3d games are pretty much set on one's imagination, the producers

14. finalblackmage

finalblackmage New Member

I think it's because that's all they had with the limited graphics and gaming technology at the time. Now that they can do so much more, they try to do everything.

I enjoy the old ones and the new ones for different reasons. I'm glad some of the old ones are getting remade so I can enjoy them again but in a new way.

15. No.III Xaldin

No.III Xaldin New Member

that is so what i think, thanks, i couldn't choose one or the other

16. Kitty

I think you make a good point here. But I can't help feeling sad if the price for shiny new graphics is a weaker story and less interesting characters.