• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

What Novel Are You Currently Reading, Version 2

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kitty, Jul 19, 2010.

1. TheKnightofAwesome

TheKnightofAwesome /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Just finished Hunger Games (not really sure if that counts as a novel but still good. Moving onto Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

2. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

Explosive Eighteen, Janet Evanovich. So far, it's okay. I kinda feel like I got dropped into the middle of the story, though (like there's a chapter or two missing off the beginning or something).

3. Kitty

I realize there hasn't been a post in here in forever, but come on, don't y'all read?

I'm on vacation, so I've been lying around reading quite a bit, so thread reviving it is.

And right now, I'm reading Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James. And my god! This is laughably, laughably bad. Like, really bad. I knew it would be, seeing as it was originally posted on Fanfiction.net as Twilight AU fanfiction, and given how terrible the characterizations and writing are in that series, a series written by an amateur based on that could hardly be better, but damn! Parts are borderline offensive, but most is just mind-bogglingly stupid. The main character is one of the most dimwitted heroines in creation; yes, I think she may be more vapid than even Bella. I had to check this out against my better judgment because I needed to see what everyone and their mother has been going on about (and because you can't properly mock something unless you know it), and now it's like a train wreck I can't look away from.

I doubt there's an audience for this book on this site, given that I think the members here are mainly older teenaged/young adult males, but if you're ever given a chance to read this, for your sanity, run, don't walk, away from this book.

4. Reprise

Reprise Semi-present

Ahh, I've been told that that book was terrible. One of my friends read it and I saw him cringing every few minutes.

Great Expectations- My class is analysing this book, but I've taken an interest to it. Old England has always intrigued me, so I'll be well ahead of my class out of my own choice.

5. Kitty

It doesn't get any better, either. I'm about half way through Fifty Shades Darker, because I'm incapable of leaving a series I start, no matter how atrocious, and I'm not sure I have the words to describe it all, at least on a family-friendly site. What's sad is that in the right hands, with the subject matter treated with respect and with a writer who knows what she's doing and who fleshes out her characters, the story wouldn't have been half bad. But there's so much repetition and stupid devices (the heroine of the story has running commentary on what her "inner goddess" and "subconscious" are both thinking- I think she's very possibly a schizophrenic- and there is a ton of back and forth emailing with "cute" subject lines) and there's just so much that's unbelievable. But the worst thing is how the author confuses BDSM with domestic abuse, and tries to pass off the abuse as romantic. It's Edward's controlling and stalkerish tendencies in Twilight amped up to the max. Yet chicks are supposed to swoon (and apparently do). I despair for my gender sometimes.

It's always great when you're lucky enough to have assigned reading you actually enjoy.

6. Luke

Luke Member

Im rereading the Dark towers series

7. TheKnightofAwesome

TheKnightofAwesome /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

77 Shadow Street. If you want to know my opinion, keep an eye on my youtube channel. I'll be posting a review of the book there in a matter of weeks.

8. Key King

Key King Member

"Johnny and the Bomb."
    It's the third installment in the Johnny series by Terry Pratchett. All three have been great books, and I've enjoyed them all!

9. King of Darkness

King of Darkness What up Monica

Stephen King's IT

Finally getting around to his book ^_^

10. Kitty

^ My favorite of all of his books I've read. Love IT so much.

I'm reading Fifty Shades Freed by E. L. James. I don't know what to say about this that I haven't already said. Plot is dreadfully stupid, the characters moreso. But that kind of makes it funny. But not funny enough not to scar your soul. v_v

11. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

Got done reading Ishmael... my view on the world drastically change. :( Knowledge is suffering. To know how humans would even act against each other and is destroying themselves and the world... what a selfish species we are. God forgive us.

The gorilla is that intelligent so we are two kinds of species. The humans who take and destroy while the other race is the humans who leave everything to God and let nature take its course, populating the world with no worry. Only reason I got this book is because:

1. The name "Ishmael" means "God has heard my affliction", one of my favorite names.

2. Ishmael is a name of someone that I know.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  12. Kitty

I've just started reading Inheritance by Christopher Paolini. I only vaguely remember the events of the previous three books, but my library had this on hand and I have been wanting to know how it ends, even though I reckon I can guess and it'll probably be disappointing. Right now, I'm not very far (less than 100 pages into it), but so far, not too impressed with the writing. But we'll see.

13. Kitty

Bumping in hopes of getting this active again. C'mon people, post what you're reading! I need to be able to steal titles when I get bored and have nothing on my shelves I feel like rereading.

I'm just about finished with Who Got Liz Gardner? by Elizabeth Allen. It's written like a memoir, but is apparently mostly fictitious, and is mostly a coming of age/discovering who you are sort of book, while the main character tries to create a career for herself and searches for Mr. Right. Some aspects of the book made me scoff (it sometimes seems hard to believe that all of this happens to one person, and the main character is into a lot of New Age, spiritual crap that I don't buy), but I enjoyed it. For some reason this is toted as "If you liked Fifty Shades of Grey, try this one!" and I have no idea why, because it's nothing like those books, except there are sex scenes. Anyhow, not the best book I've ever read, but not the worst, either. I'm not sorry for buying it.

14. xxxJRosesxxx

xxxJRosesxxx New Member

I've been reading Dracula for the past year, I highly recommend it for people who like horror and vampires in general.

15. YaminoHikari14

YaminoHikari14 New Member

Oblivion By Anthony Horowitz it was bought as my Christmas present by a friend from my hometown in Japan. (she got it off of ebay first and had it sent to her, thats how she got it before you ask) It's the last book in the Power Of Five series, I believe tha the Power Of Five Is much better than his other work, The Alex Rider series. I haven't got far into it but so fa so good, when read more deepley I'll post a bit more! :D

16. Kitty

I'm just finishing up The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien. After seeing The Hobbit in theaters, I wanted to get back into that world again. I really love all of these characters. And the history of the world is amazing. I think this is probably my favorite of the three.

17. Biosaber

Biosaber New Member

Maximum Ride: Schools out... forever. im almost finished with to

18. Kitty

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin. I'm not very far into this yet, but I've been in the mood for some sort of lighthearted chick-lit, and I'm thinking this will deliver.

19. CutieeSora

CutieeSora New Member

I Hunt Killers By Barry Lyga

20. Biosaber

Biosaber New Member

GONE by Michael Grant