• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Greek Referendum

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mike, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Mike

Mike Member

Has anyone been following the financial situation over in Greece? They voted overwhelmingly Against the proposed bailout...

It's probably time to start talking/learning about this - this is going to snowball into a global economic issue.

2. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

I haven't been paying too much attention. Though I think I did hear something about Greece wanting other countries to pay their debts or something. If that is true, that is entirely messed up. They need to be able to fix their problems without needing Germany or some other country to come to the rescue. At the very least, they need to take steps to doing it themselves and not be entirely dependent on other countries.

3. Mike

Mike Member

Hmm... I think it's something you guys might want to read up on, particularly since it's one of four major debt-ridden countries that could have a huge impact on the global economy. Greece was just the first to fall victim, more countries are not far behind.

The US has a deficit as well doesn't it, in the hundreds of billions? That is at least in part, sponsored by foreign creditors (most notably, China). If enough countries who owe you guys money default, your deficit will climb to an unmanageable level. It's definitely an issue of global importance, if they've been downplaying its significance in the US Media, then that's very unsettling, because your financial state sucks at the moment as well (we are in the great recession after all).

It isn't a matter of Greece wanting other countries to pay their loans. It's like having a mortgage with an absurd interest rate and being unable to meet your minimum payments and having your house taken away after paying down a fraction of it. The bank then has to foot the bill, because they took a risk on you that didn't pay off. The same is true of those who loaned Greece money.

The terms imposed by the EU bailout were pretty ridiculous (such as garnishing the wages of every citizen to a ridiculous degree), and the people said no to those conditions.

Furthermore, in Canada the prime interest rate is about 3%, in the US it should be about the same... To simplify a bit, that means each year you need to pay an extra 3% of your outstanding balance (in reality it's more). In Greece, it's over 25%! One of the bailout terms was to raise it even more.

I don't really blame them for voting it down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_government-debt_crisis

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  4. Desert Warrior

Yep. Though it may be reaching the trillions. Or that's a scare tactic used by politicians. I'm not sure which. I don't think the media has been downplaying its significance, but I honestly can't say for sure if it is or isn't. I do know that there are people who think the U.S. is going to wind down the same path Greece is going through right now. Which is definitely a possibility depending on our future leaders.

Reading through that Wikipedia page leads back to that last sentence of mine, about Greece taking steps towards fixing thing. The page says that one proposed solution is them going back to the Drachma and using the devaluation of that currency. And yet the page also says that the majority of Greek citizens do not want to drop the Euro. If they're going to be against a potential solution, what else is there to do aside waiting for everything to come crashing down?

5. Mike

Mike Member

They're almost uniformly opposed to leaving the euro zone - that's why they had an overwhelming No vote in the Referendum.

6. Desert Warrior

Was the Referendum part of the EU bailout? If so, I can understand them shooting down the entire thing. But if leaving the euro zone leads towards them being able to improve their economy, I don't understand why they wouldn't do that. Are the benefits of being in the EU so great that they're willing to have their economy hit rock bottom?

7. Mike

Mike Member

Sorry I actually said the exact opposite thing - I meant to say they're uniformly in favour of leaving the Euro Zone (though upon looking into it, it was about a 2/3rd vote).

They voted No to the bailout terms, which means they want to zone, going back to their Drachma and so forth. Whether or not that will actually happen, I'm not sure, but that's what voting No implied.

What I find kind of ironic is that their deficit isn't actually that high - something like $10 per Greek citizen would be enough to pay their entire dbailout amount. What's kind of neat and unprecedented is that someone has actually realized this, and turned to crowdsourcing to try and raise enough money to pay their bailout amount.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  8. Desert Warrior

Really? The link you provided earlier says the exact opposite.

Hopefully that'll be something they actually manage to do.

9. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

Should we?! I don't see the big deal! Greece is a small country. I don't see any reason why their debt will topple anything. Besides I'm sure the ECB have barriers in place for such an event.

10. Mike

Mike Member

Then unfortunately, you don't really understand how debt works. There is the potential for a massive chain reaction, and sticking our head in the sand is not a good idea.

I'll respond to DW a bit later when I have a bit more time.

11. Angel

Or you don't really understand the situation. By the way, "how debt works" has nothing to do with the "massive chain reaction" that you're referring to. Debt can be the cause but it's not a function!

Semantics aside, I doubt there will be financial contagion. As I said before, Greece is a small country, and in case of a "Grexit", there are barriers in place to limit the blow. The media is bolstering the story of "catastrophic financial decline" as always when the consequences are unknown.

12. Mike

Mike Member

Not true - debt can beget more debt. If I loaned money to my friend (and was a bit of a jerk and charged interest, set monthly payments etc) then either I'm in an amazing financial situation where I don't depend on his repayment/monthly payments to pay my bills, or I'm in a bit of financial trouble, and I do. Suppose I'm someone who depended on that money to pay my own lender (like say, a bank for my mortgage). When my friend runs into financial trouble, can't pay me, then I in turn, can't pay the bank, and I would default on my own payments.

You can turn that analogy around and say "well that's poor planning, for such small amounts of money you can get extensions, or find other means of making it work, etc." but the problem is, that's exactly the situation some other countries are in (notably India). Debt isn't simply some static number that dictates how much someone owes - it's income that other countries depend on to balance their books. It's all about dollars earned vs dollars spent - when other "small countries" who loaned money to Greece can no longer depend on Greece to make their loan payments because they've defaulted, they can run the risk of defaulting too. And indeed, there are 3 or 4 other countries at serious risk. The creditors of these other countries will then have to work on their contingency plans.

Sure if one person were to file for bankruptcy, it would have little effect on say, a major bank's long term plan. However if millions of people did, they would have to. Should these other countries all default together, then the effect may pass to slightly larger countries, whose creditors would then be at risk, and the chain would continue.

Now I don't know how high it would go, if at all, past Greece. I'm not saying it will affect this or that, all I'm saying is we should care about this, this isn't a small deal. But it certainly has the potential, so we should be careful and learn about this before it becomes an even bigger deal.

If the issue remains isolated to Greece (honestly, fingers crossed) then I agree completely with this. The problem is if it does not.

Furthermore, a Grexit would have legal implications as well - membership in the EU would no longer be 'forever' and several other countries that either hate being in the EU, or have their own financial difficulties may want to leave as well. Greece leaving, although rather trivial in and of itself, will be a crack in the EU's foundation that could turn into a big problem (particularly during "rainy season" ie. a great recession like we're in).

The referendum asked "Are you in favour of this bailout?" and there was a 60-something percent resounding No vote. By voting No, people are saying they would rather leave the EU than put up with the harsh consequences imposed by that bailout.

So people may not want to leave the EU, but they would rather do that than be subjected to those terms.

13. Angel

That's quite the assumption! Assuming a gov't is highly depended on loan repayment to pay off current expenses. Assuming the loan isn't annual. Assuming some third-world country is highly invested in Greece since the EU debt crisis in '10. Assuming they won't sell Greece's debt. Assuming the payment amount is even significant.

I mean seriously. Odds are, some third-world country struggling financially wouldn't be loaning money to a country whose unstable themselves, and even if they did. I doubt; it's a significant loan. Greece is what? 2% of Eurozone and is mostly owned by government institutions and countries that can easily handle a default. Also what country in their right mind depends on liabilities to pay their expenses.

What countries?! Even if smaller countries were dependent on Greece's money, there are other options for them to meet their obligations. As I said, Greece isn't a big country. The ECB has more than enough money to handle any backlash from Greece. If all goes south, they'll sell Greece's bonds to the ECB.

On paper that sounds good, but in the real world. There are options and barriers to prevent such things from happening, especially if for a country as insignificant as Greece.

Sure. I understand that the potential is out there, but it's not going to happen. Greece's debt is just the news right now and blown out of proportion.

Oh wow. A Grexit doesn't insight some kind of "secession". I've heard something like this somewhere. I honestly don't think this is a problem. People are saying that to instill fear and to keep the image of a "united" Europe.

14. Desert Warrior

Unless not accepting the bailout means leaving the EU, I don't think the people would have had the thought of leaving the EU in mind when they voted No with regards to that bailout. I just find it weird that sources are saying they are against leaving the EU but then saying that by them being against the bailout they are totally okay with leaving the EU.