• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

What Novel Are You Currently Reading?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by EbeneezerAl, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyuu

Kyuu your worst nightmare.

I'm reading Spirit Walker by Michelle Paver... In Finnish it's "Henkivaeltaja". n_n

2. rikulover2323

rikulover2323 New Member

Now Im reading Common Sense.

3. Locogabitron

Locogabitron Kichi's Squall Leon

I was reading before ( i haven't start school yet) is: To kill a Mockingbird

4. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

That book gets soooooooo boring.

5. Locogabitron

Well, it was boring. I know that idont like to read that much. But for me, that boot is interesting. Its really a good book because here in this world, alot of people are very racist and i saw the movie of that book. Its very amusing.

Quote of the Lawyer: " You have to be in someone's skin to know his/hers feelings."

I think it goes like that, but he's write you know.

6. rikulover2323

rikulover2323 New Member

Im now reading "The Federalist"

7. Kyuu

Now I'm reading Soul-Eater by Michelle Paver. It comes after Spirit Walker.

8. xrawrxmassacre

xrawrxmassacre New Member

i'm reading Breaking Dawn again
    but i think i'm going to move on to something else i don't know what yet

9. rencoinfreak

rencoinfreak Banned

im reading "The Boy Who Dared".... o.o very interesting.

10. Kairi

Kairi New Member

I'm reading Chibi Vampire. ( not the manga the novel)

11. Mike

Mike Member

I actually really liked To Kill a Mockingbird. The problem is, it's not only meant as a form of entertainment, but also as a historical reference to how poorly the early Americans treated the black ('negro') populations back in the Civil War days. Atticus Finch had the courage to do what no white person would think of doing: persue the truth, and argue in defense of a black man.

I had to read it in 10th grade, I hung on every word (Except that my english teacher insisted on reading it to us, and she was a very 'grandma-esque' lady whose quiet voice would nearly put me to sleep). So much better than any other novels we had to read.

On the same note, I also liked The Great Gatsby, which I had to read in the 12th grade...but yeah, I think there's just so much to appreciate in To Kill a Mockingbird.

Now I'm reading the book Godel, Escher, Bach: The Eternal Golden Braid. It's quite a sophisticated read and is probably difficult for people with weak math/logic skills to read (some people jokingly compare reading this book to 'giving birth')...but it's actually a book centered around human discovery, and the question "What is consciousness?" This is neither a math, art, nor music book.

[​IMG]

The book is 777 pages (all lucky 7's?), and there are hidden messages among the text. Douglas Hofstadter is called the modern day Shakespeare for this novel, which has a ridiculous amount of wordplay and clever analogies in it.

Not to mention, the preface warns in advance that the book does not actually end on the last page...many books can make this claim. But how many books say that the book ends BEFORE the last page??

What happens is, you're supposed to guess the point where it ends based on an enormous number of contradictions in the page to follow. This adds to the confusion!

It takes elements of Godel's Incompleteness Theorem, which is a mathematical proof of the statement: "No system of axioms is both consistent and complete." I won't give the complete mathematical interpretation of this kind of confusing statement, but it implies that no computer, ever, no matter how sophisticated, will never be able to discover math without being told how to do so.

In other words, Math is a science which is restricted only to creative, self-aware beings. One can even be a bit bold and claim this simple statement is evidence of a higher power (but of course this is still speculation). It differs from other sciences in this way (Since the other sciences are based on observation, which a computer can do).

G-E-B is a book that may be too advanced for the average member here to read, but in a few years time (or if you have an excellent sense of logic), I definitely recommend doing so. It's quite possibly the deepest book I've ever read.

(Note: The book isn't 'technical' in a math sense (infact, there isn't a whole lot of math). It's just tough to grasp all of the ideas)

12. rencoinfreak

rencoinfreak Banned

i read "to kill a mockingbird" three times. man, i love this book.

13. Kairi008

Kairi008 New Member

I'm reading Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates

14. Locogabitron

Ya, 'To kill a mockingbird' is a tremendoues book. I read it last year and it was great.

15. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

In my English class, we are going to start reading Catcher in the Rye. And, if they count as novels, we are reading America: The Last Best Hope, A People's History of the United States, and The Death of the West, all in my honors U.S. History class.

16. Kyuu

Now I'm reading Agatha Christie's A Murder Is Announced for school ^w^

17. Kileandra

Kileandra New Member

I'm reading the last in The Sword of Truth series; Confessor by Terry Goodkind

18. rikuchie

rikuchie New Member

twilight series >.<

19. Kyuu

They're awesome! Is there three books in English?

20. ü

ü 30•05•2010

Last Battle of the ice-mark, Stuart Hill and Fablehaven 2- Brandon Mull. I forget the title name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.