• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Creationism and Evolutionisn

Discussion in 'General' started by Reprise, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Reprise

Reprise Semi-present

This isn't a debate between creationism and evolutionism.

Should schools teach creationism as well as evolutionism? If so, should only religious schools do so? Or should all schools teach children about both creationism and evolutionism? Discuss.

2. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

I am uncomfortable with the idea of schools teaching creationism. I think that is best left in the hands of the churches that parents choose to take their children to. Because I doubt the schools will have the time to devote to the subject in order to make it so that they address the idea of creation from every religion's standpoint, and I don't think it's right for them to choose to teach only to the Christian viewpoint. An acknowledgement that evolution isn't the only possibility is relevant, but I think questions on the other alternatives should be passed on to pastors/priests/etc, or information could be given to those interested in the form of book titles or websites on the subject. At least in a science classroom setting. In a World Religions class, as long as the curriculum is fair and not pushing any particular religion, I don't have a problem with it being discussed and debated. And private, religion-based schools can teach whatever they want. That's their right.

I was trying to remember how this was handled back in the day for me, but I can't quite recall. I'm pretty sure creationism wasn't mentioned at all in whatever science class it was that evolution fell under (Biology?), but there may have been a very short discussion about it.

3. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

Colleges has Word Religion. That as close as you can get to Creationism in my opinion because of how each religion believes how the world was created and all of that.

4. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

^ We had a world religions class in my high school. It was a social studies elective and fairly popular, mostly because it had an awesome teacher. I didn't choose to take it (I'm sure everyone is shocked), but I had quite a few friends who did.

The other problem with teaching Creationism is that I just don't think the subject on its own, as opposed to being compared with Evolution, is relevant in a biology or general science class. The teachers have enough to cover each term without adding something so subjective and sensitive in, too.