• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

I got to thinking

Discussion in 'General' started by Zerieth, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Zerieth

Zerieth Head Game Reviewer

My girl friend and I are facing some tough times. For one thing she is now living two hours away now, and its hard to see her. For another her dad doesn't want us seeing each other that often. I have every intention of marrying her but I don't know how I will go about it with her dad being super over protective. She's 21 and I'm 19. I have very little to give now except my love but she accepts that and I am working hard to find work again. Any words of advice or encouragement would be much appreciated.

2. LDC1121

LDC1121 New Member

Firstly, if my parents are still over-protective of me when I turn 21 then we're gonna have some problems. Secondly, I would worry about her dad or the distance, if she loves you as much as you love her then that's all the two of you need to get you through. Also, I suggest you wait a few years before you two get married because then as you both get older you'll not only gain maturity but also more respect from your parents so you'll most likely get less protest from them when you finally do announce you're getting married. I know personally my parents would be more accepting of me getting married at 25 rather than at 19.

3. Moogle

Moogle Well-Known Member

If you intend to propose, let the engagement simmer for years. Don't actually marry her for another ten years. That is the true test of your love's endurance, and you're less likely to get married and then divorce.

4. Ventus

Ventus Kickass Keyblader!

I concur. Also try to get to know her father. Maybe ask him for a drink?

5. Moogle

Moogle Well-Known Member

Drinking age isn't until 21 in most states in the US, Sora.

6. Ventus

Ventus Kickass Keyblader!

Oh yeah. Sorry

7. Corbenik_979

Corbenik_979 Member

its still not a bad idea, they can still do something other than drink

8. Zerieth

Bloody stinking culvers reset. Killed my post.

I was trying to say that the both of us feel its time to kick off our lives the way we want to. For two years we haven't had one fight, and we both have a lot in common. Not only this but we want to move in together so we can work out our college years as a team. My family is deeply christian and we both think marriage would help them be more supportive. Not only this but I feel like this is the one person that's gonna make me happy the rest of my life.

9. TheKnightofAwesome

TheKnightofAwesome /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Someone once said "Love knows no bounds" If this is true love then let nothing stop you. I agree that getting to know the father on a much more personal level will make the relationship easier and the marriage a better experience.

Then again, I'm a naive 17 year old.....

10. Zerieth

Lol I know I am naive. The problem with getting to know the dad is that i have gotten to know him. That isn't the issue. Lately i've had a string of bad luck with money issues, (all brought about by my durango deciding to drive itself into a pole and totaling itself. Yay.) That's what he's worried about. He thinks I should have a boat load of money to solve those problems with and the fact that I don't has him worried I won't take good care of his daughter. Not that I had much money to being with but he is kinda right. I'm bad with spending but she knows and is willing to help me with limiting my spending issues.

11. Luke

Luke Member

Thats all you need. Keep working at it, and if this is true, things will work out.

12. Ninamihurai

Ninamihurai New Member

*waves at everyone and takes a seat*
    Hi guys, thanks for all the support and advice. : )
    It's very true my dad is overprotective, i think especially so now since my mother has passed away three years ago and probably feels the need to fullfil her place too (although i know personally my mom would be a bit more laid back and open about our predicament). I love my dad, but i love Zer more, since he understands me way better than my own dad. : )
    I think it may be possible to get closer to my dad through events and simple conversations (the halloween bash i'm planning to throw may be a good time). But my dad doesn't always say everything that is on his mind (most likely in this situation), and later reverberates it to me or my bro (who then later relays the info to me).
    And it's true, i'm a financial expert in some cases, especially since i'm broke myself now (thank you college). But hopefully someday this CNA liscense will come in handy for big bucks *holds up a small rectangular paper and looks at it*