• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Nobody Tangent

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance' started by Derek, May 25, 2017.

1. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

I’ve always thought nobodies were a better idea on paper.
    One reason why is I don’t quite get how the logic of Xehanort nobodies work. Xigbar, Saix, Xemnas, they were all nort nobodies but it seems odd to me.

Nobodies can develop hearts but they start out lacking them. Their heart as a person became a heartless.

Xehanort works by invading his hosts heart and using their darkness to control them. It’s why he goes through such lengths to turn Terra, Sora and Riku to darkness.

So, if that’s the case then how are any of the nobodies Xehanorts? The heart he was possessing was lost when that person turned into a nobody. How can he still linger to take control?

While we’re on the topic, how did Ventus even stay in Soras body? When it turned into Roxas it gained Vens face due to this.

Yes his heart was damaged but you’d think Vens heart would fall into sleep/dream-realm or go back to his body rather than clinging onto a nobody.

It feels like a hole in logic to me. Not a plot hole, just an odd contradiction of sorts.

2. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

The simple answer is that, by the mechanics of the KHVerse, Xehanort, then, shouldn't have been able to enforce ANY manner of control over the Nobodies, because they had no Hearts for him to infest. I don't really see any way of reasoning around it.

Honestly, I think that Nobodies, as per KHII, were a solid concept.
    - Person loses their Heart to the Darkness.
    - Heart pretty much becomes a Heartless.
    - The Body , mind and other elements of being, if the Heart was strong enough, reanimate and act of their own accord.
    - Nobodies have to find new Hearts if they want to become Somebodies again; or, feasibly, find and reclaim their original Hearts from the Darkness.

Personally, if I were redesigning the concept of Nobodies, the above would pretty much be my premise for how they functioned. None of that 'grow their Hearts back' crap. Having too many exceptions to things just lightens the weight of it all.

Kitty likes this.
  3. Derek

Derek Well-Known Member

^ You said it best. The exceptions is just kinda ridiculous and you can tell this because the heart crap was added to explain it.

Granted, I think the "don't really exist" part was stupid since they obviously do indeed exist but the rest of the premise was decent for a main game entry. They could've even played with it more.
    For instance, we know the heartless work on instinct. They're darkness made real, they have no minds, the lost of self in the heart is what gives them the name "heartless". The nobodies could've had a similar issue. Like perhaps the nobodies want to be people again so strongly because they are haunted by the sheer longing to be whole.

Rather than being emotionless or growing hearts, you could set it up that they are instinctively driven to be whole again. Or they could've just left Nobodies as is (minus "dont exist") and left them in the past. They were fine for KH2. Kh2 could've been wrote better but as it was the nobodies were a good enemy to have and not really see again.

Agreed. I also agree that, in KH2, the nobody was solid if just handled a bit poorly since we hardly seen them. As the enemies of KH2 they should've had more of a presence. Like instead of Pete or saying the heartless are still around, they could've said the heartless are back because the Organization is releasing them into worlds. It makes each world a bit more important and gives more reasons for us to see the enemies we were supposed to see.

The Ventus>Roxas thing also bothers me. I know they're not the same, I think everyone does at this point, but I'm always wondering what was so hard about given Ven a unique face. This logic of Sora's nobody somehow having Ven's heart is kinda a hole as well.
    Sora stabbed himself with a keyblade, a special keyblade, that had the unique ability to release hearts. Kairi's was released, Sora's was released, the keyblade broke down and released the hearts of the other princesses, yet somehow Vens heart wasn't released?

Granted I know the series was a mix of planned as it goes and retroactively built but still.....