• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

Polygamy

Discussion in 'General' started by Reprise, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Reprise

Reprise Semi-present

I've been wondering about this for a while now.

What exactly is so taboo about polygamy, so long as everyone involved is fully aware that the relationship is polygamous?

What is it about 'cheating' and adultery that's so terrible?

Are humans supposed to commit to only person, and if so, why?

Discuss.

2. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

If everyone in the relationship is fully aware, I personally don't see anything wrong about polygamy, though I'll freely admit that I don't quite understand it. I don't think I could have a relationship like that without feeling jealous or slighted at various times, but if it works for some people, that's cool.

Cheating and adultery is different, I think, because for it to be considered adultery/cheating and not simply being in an open relationship, I think there is a breaking of trust taking place, and a lack of empathy and respect towards the other people in the relationship. I don't think cheating is okay, though I can't say that it is automatically unforgivable, depending on the situation.

I suppose the attitude that humans are supposed to commit to one person for their entire lives has its basis in religion. But I think different methods of conducting relationships can work best for different people, and that it's not really my place to judge, or care, if someone chooses never to settle down and just have fun with a lot of people, or falls in love with that one person and is happy that way, or something in between.

3. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

Mainly because when you are having a relationship with more than one person, you are most likely going to favorone spouse more than the other. That and both spouses will try to fight over the one that married both of them and it is really supposed to be a committment. That is why Polygamy is frowned... or at least that is what I know.

Well... if you ask me, it is literally cheating in a way. I mean, sure you are married to more than one person that you loved but who are you really going to show comittment to? I am 100% sure that no one is going to easily be equal to one another. It is like almost like being committed to someone who you just met and had sex with behind the person whom you usually dated, except you are doing it in front of them... in a way.

4. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

I don't think it has to be that way, and in the perfect polygamous relationship, it wouldn't be. But I can't help feeling that if I were to be in such a relationship, I would feel like that, that I was being left out. Apparently I'm not very trusting or secure. XD Which is why I said that I don't quite understand these relationships. But I think with three (or more, I suppose) people who know exactly what they're getting into and are completely trusting of each other, it would work out fine.