• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

What color is this dress?

Discussion in 'General' started by Angel, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

2. Kitty

Kitty I Survived The BG Massacre Staff Member Administrator

It looks very obviously blue and black to me- I find it hard to believe that anyone could see it as white and gold. o_O

The science behind why people are seeing the different colors is pretty interesting to me, though, for all that it seems like such a random thing for people to be freaking out over, lol.

3. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

Really, Angel? It's bad enough that this is all over my Facebook feed. Like, of all the things for people to get into an uproar about...

For the sake of productively answering the thread though, this would be one of those things that I'd have to see in person to actually see what's going on. Looking over the picture, it seems to transition from the White/Gold to the Blue/Black depending on where my focus is; I find that when I'm focused on the upper half of the dress, it seems to be more white/gold, where as looking lower I see more the blue and black. Pigments can be really tricky sometimes.

Part of what I can account for, that I picked up in when I took courses in costuming, is that black doesn't always come off as black. At least with fabrics, there can be blue-blacks, red-blacks, etc.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  4. King of Darkness

King of Darkness What up Monica

Of all places, I never thought this would show up here, lol. I see it as white and gold, but can see how some people may see a light blue. But even knowing that it's really blue and black, I cannot see how that gold looks black at all.

5. Become

Become Resident Tashian Staff Member Moderator Content Writer

Interestingly (well, interestingly in my view) is that I'm seeing it more white-gold on my phone than I am on my computer.

6. Nova

Nova A Ghost Staff Member Administrator

The first time I saw this image I saw it as a very distinct dark blue and black. Though today it looks like a different picture to me. It looks more obviously light gold and white. Once in a while it switches back and forth and tonight when I look at it, it starts out blue and black and fades to white and gold. Pretty strange but it's just perception.
    The colors in this image are exactly on the boarder of blue/white and black/gold according to Photoshop. The theory is that your preseption of the image depends on if your eyes are more drawn to warm or cool tones.

7. Angel

Angel Lion Heart Staff Member Administrator

Haha, I legit started arguing with my friend. I didn't know people were seeing different colors.I see blue and black plain as day, I've tried seeing white and gold, but nothing!

8. Nova

Nova A Ghost Staff Member Administrator

Yeah the actual dress is blue and black. I even cropped the image into sections of the dress to make sure. Even if I'm seeing the full image in the white and gold, the cropped pieces are blue or black.

The gold and white is just a mindfuck created by lighting and perception

9. Mike

Mike Member

We judge colour using a multitude of information provided to our eyes. This simply shows that we can't think (even scientifically) in a world of absolutes. I too find that fascinating and may use this concept in debates for years to come!

I've seen both in different lighting conditions. If you imagine the image as being whitewashed in light (ie a large spotlight on the dress from behind you) you'll perceive the dress as blue and white. If you imagine the dress is cloaked in darkness (and that all the lighting exclusively is coming from behind the dress) you'll see it as white and gold.

10. Desert Warrior

Desert Warrior Well-Known Member

Seeing the picture on this site is the first time I've actually seen it as blue and black. Every other time it has looked white and gold to me.

11. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

._. I see blue and black... I am so confuse...