• Square Elite
  1. If you are having trouble logging in, check the box, "stay logged in" to fix the issue. Thanks! —KHP Staff
  2. Hi Guest, you may have noticed that we aren't khplanet.com anymore. For more information on why these changes are happening, check out our thread, Site Re-Brand Updates

World ending / Major crisis 2012

Discussion in 'Mature Discussion' started by WayToTheDawn, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cameron

Cameron New Member

We're not living in a comic book, kid.

The first time I heard about that the world's going to end 2012, I was really scared. I was thinking that I would have time only to get myself drunk for good only for a year after I would turn 18! =o It really turned my stomach.

But still I don't believe it's going to happen. Not in that way that satan comes to earth and start butchering people. Althought it would be awesome.

2. EtherealSummoner

EtherealSummoner Lamentations 3:22-26

DX I feel offended by that last sentence Nos. I brung that up because someone here (He's banned now.) told me about that & he believed that the world would end in 2047. -.- Still, I find this end of the world thing going out of hands. How many times did the talk about the end of the world came up & it never came?

3. Mike

Mike Member

God, and by extension religion (as a whole), is neither provably true, or provably false. That being said, you're saying you believe they are untrue. (That little clause is all-important in a situation like this...you placed it in the wrong spot xD)

After all, the inability to believe is not proof. If it were, Quantum Mechanics would not exist as Einstein was a firm believer in the decidability of our universe. "God doesn't play with dice" he would say...but we all know how that turned out.

I challenge you to find evidence of a religion that infalliably claims war, killing or even prejudice are a good thing. These flaws, though 'inspired' by religion (I will not argue with this...it's true) are not directly caused by religion. Infact, most religions (that I know of at least) suggest that killing is a stupid way to resolve your problems...I can't think of a single religion that does not proclaim the golden rule. Why does religion get the bad wrap, when it's really a fool's interpretation of said religion that is the problem?

It's like saying particle physics (itself) caused the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. No, it simply held the information that misconceived the atomic bomb and hence the bombings. No, scientific discoveries nearly inspired said bombings and isn't really something that can be blamed.

I'm not quite sure I see this either...to me it seems that this very point suggests creation. I mean taking examples from our reality (which if it came from 'nothing' is the be-all and end-all of the discussion), can you find me a single instance in which something comes from nothing?

Which is more probable, a glass materializing, falling to the ground and shattering, or someone making a glass (glassblowing?) and dropping it, causing it to shatter?

I'm not suggesting this is proof of a Creator, because the 'higher order' workings of our universe (should they exist) are likely far more complex than ours...but given our own experiences, the notion of everything coming from nothing is silly. Again I challenge you to find me one example in which things spawned from nothing...because I can find hundreds of billions in which things are manufactured.

As we say in the math business:

Proof or it didn't happen.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  4. Answer Man

Answer Man Man I'm Awesome

what if there is proof but we just never see it.

5. alchemistz

alchemistz New Member

This thread is kinda creepy, we can just hope for the best.

6. Blade

Blade Heroes Have One or Two

i think what 'the world will end' means that the modern world will end. at the rate our economy is going right now, that might happen and it'll be back to the Stong Age with us... with a couple of modern technology that doesn't work anymore that is.

7. EtherealSummoner

-____- The news is already talking about World War 3 & Iran wanting to blow up Israel already. Is worrying me.

8. Colonel Caboose

Colonel Caboose The Man, the Myth, the Legend

hey the way I see it the quicker the world ends the quicker I'll be partying up in heaven

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  9. Autopsy

Autopsy #3 Nelliel Tu Oderschvank

There is no tragedy. It's just another media scam to scare people into submission.
    Like with the whole 'war on terror' after 9-11.

If anything, its really just the ancient calendars resetting themselves.
    2012 is their expiration date since they originated thousands of years ago.

Kitty likes this.
  10. Answer Man

it's true, how is the earth going to destroy it's self? make giant tornado by the dozens or sink holes that swool city's? or over giant waves?

11. Mythril Roxas

Mythril Roxas New Member

2012= beginning of new era, not end of the world.

12. Goldfish

Goldfish Cats in the Cradle

Yes, that's what I think. For better or for worse, I think that the world will just change somehow, whether it'd be naturally or by the hand of people.

Naturally could mean a change in the oceans currents or a volcano erupting.
    By people may could mean an impact on the financial crisis around the world, a new energy source, new cures, new wars, almost Anything.

Could be the "beginning" of the end but that "beginning" could have already started when the Earth was anew.

13. Mythril Roxas

Mythril Roxas New Member

totally Rawr.

i agree with you all the way.

But i think it will probably be for the worst.

We've all lived in our bubbles for to long, we're all in for a shock.
    Lets hope it isn't anything to bad.

14. Blade

Blade Heroes Have One or Two

i'm starting to have this feeling that aliens are coming. the cause of my recent insomnia and fear of nighttime.

15. Answer Man

got this from yahoo.
    2012 Isn't the End of the World, Mayans Insist

Definitely not, the Mayan Indian elder insists. "I came back from England last year and, man, they had me fed up with this stuff."

It can only get worse for him. Next month Hollywood's "2012" opens in cinemas, featuring earthquakes, meteor showers and a tsunami dumping an aircraft carrier on the White House.

At Cornell University, Ann Martin, who runs the "Curious? Ask an Astronomer" Web site, says people are scared.

"It's too bad that we're getting e-mails from fourth-graders who are saying that they're too young to die," Martin said. "We had a mother of two young children who was afraid she wouldn't live to see them grow up."

Chile Pixtun, a Guatemalan, says the doomsday theories spring from Western, not Mayan ideas.

A significant time period for the Mayas does end on the date, and enthusiasts have found a series of astronomical alignments they say coincide in 2012, including one that happens roughly only once every 25,800 years.

But most archaeologists, astronomers and Maya say the only thing likely to hit Earth is a meteor shower of New Age philosophy, pop astronomy, Internet doomsday rumors and TV specials such as one on the History Channel which mixes "predictions" from Nostradamus and the Mayas and asks: "Is 2012 the year the cosmic clock finally winds down to zero days, zero hope?"

It may sound all too much like other doomsday scenarios of recent decades -- the 1987 Harmonic Convergence, the Jupiter Effect or "Planet X." But this one has some grains of archaeological basis.

One of them is Monument Six.

Found at an obscure ruin in southern Mexico during highway construction in the 1960s, the stone tablet almost didn't survive; the site was largely paved over and parts of the tablet were looted.

It's unique in that the remaining parts contain the equivalent of the date 2012. The inscription describes something that is supposed to occur in 2012 involving Bolon Yokte, a mysterious Mayan god associated with both war and creation.

However -- shades of Indiana Jones -- erosion and a crack in the stone make the end of the passage almost illegible.

Archaeologist Guillermo Bernal of Mexico's National Autonomous University interprets the last eroded glyphs as maybe saying, "He will descend from the sky."

Spooky, perhaps, but Bernal notes there are other inscriptions at Mayan sites for dates far beyond 2012 -- including one that roughly translates into the year 4772.

And anyway, Mayas in the drought-stricken Yucatan peninsula have bigger worries than 2012.

"If I went to some Mayan-speaking communities and asked people what is going to happen in 2012, they wouldn't have any idea," said Jose Huchim, a Yucatan Mayan archaeologist. "That the world is going to end? They wouldn't believe you. We have real concerns these days, like rain."

The Mayan civilization, which reached its height from 300 A.D. to 900 A.D., had a talent for astronomy

Its Long Count calendar begins in 3,114 B.C., marking time in roughly 394-year periods known as Baktuns. Thirteen was a significant, sacred number for the Mayas, and the 13th Baktun ends around Dec. 21, 2012.

WELL???

16. Mythril Roxas

Mythril Roxas New Member

haha, yeah, me too
    Very interesting, good information, didnt know the thirteen thing. Thanks for sharing, i like the info.

17. Answer Man

this might be off topic but see 2012 it might help with this thread maybe? but it explained what was going to happen.

18. EtherealSummoner

-____- I think we should slow down on that part. I mean, the White House falling down. "OH NO! What ever hall we do?!" -______- I don't even think that the end times will be something like that.

19. Moogle

Moogle Well-Known Member

OH NOES! WE HAVE TO FLY OUR PLANE LOW TO THE GROUND SO FALLING BUILDINGS CAN HIT US!

Gotta love the stupidity that is the American cinema and media.

20. Goldfish

Goldfish Cats in the Cradle

Just like The Day After Tomorrow =P

Person I live with, never heard of the 2012 thing sees a trailer for this 2012 movie on TV then asks me, "Oh shit man, is this 2012 thing real!?" after I briefly explained what the 2012 is about.
    Perhaps the film is influential for people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.